As one of Houston's first planned communities, the Heights has been designed with parks, grocery stores, shops, restaurants and prestigious schools in mind - all within minutes of downtown.
Bordered by downtown Houston and Memorial Park to the south, Timbergrove to the west and Northside Village to the east, the Heights occupies roughly 2.7 square miles, with an elevation of 62 feet above sea level. It is just 10 minutes away from downtown, expanding the leisure and entertainment choices of residents.
With a population of around 15,500, the Heights is also home to wonderfully preserved historic buildings, many of which are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Some of the neighborhood's architectural gems include Queen Anne cottages, Colonial Revival-style homes and Neo Gothic-style churches that date back to the late 1800s and early 1900s, at around the time the Heights was first founded.
The community is zoned to the Houston Independent School District and has some great school choices.
- Field Elementary School
- Harvard Elementary School
- Crockett Elementary School
- Love Elementary School
- Sinclair Elementary School
- Helms Community Learning Center
- Hogg Middle School
- Hamilton Middle School
- Reagan High School
- Waltrip High School
Cited as one of the inner loop's hottest neighborhoods, the Heights has new home developments and housing options that include single-family homes, patio or cluster homes, townhomes, midrise and high-rise condos.
The Houston Heights Association (HHA) works to preserve historic homes and maintain the neighborhood's old world charm by enforcing deed restrictions in the following areas:
- Houston Heights Historic District West
- Houston Heights Historic District East
- Houston Heights Historic District South
As a result, the neighborhood retains much of its character and boasts an eclectic mix of renovated Victorian-style homes and new home constructions.
At a glance
Numerous commercial establishments have emerged since the neighborhood was revitalized in the 1990s following a period of decline. Parks and trails also provide opportunities for outdoor recreation.
- The Heights Playground in Donovan Park is one of six parks located in the Heights. The playground features a wooden train and a Victorian-style fortress with rope bridges and turrets.
- The renovated Historic Heights City Hall and Fire Station functions as a community center and events venue. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places and is also recognized as a City Landmark.
- 19th Street Shopping District is lined with boutiques and antique shops that sell one-of-a-kind items. There are also a number of cafes where shoppers may rest and have a glass or two of wine.
- Retropolis on 321 W 19th Street is a fabulous vintage shop. It carries a ton of merchandise, including clothes, home decor, toys and household items dating back to the 1940s. The shop next door, Jubilee, also sells vintage clothing and is known for home decor and offbeat accessories.
- Diners can get affordable and authentic Thai food at Asia Market. Menu items include green papaya salad and Kang Massam curry.
- Down House takes pride in its craft bar and chef-driven menu. Some of the restaurant's offerings include chili-crusted pork chop and kimchi burgers.
Houston Heights in Houston Texas
Houston Heights is considered one of the best places to live in when you have young children and is also the best area for those looking for one of the best places in Houston Texas to relocate!
Live the Life You've Always Imagined in Houston Heights
Samuel Johnson once wrote "To be happy at home is the ultimate result of all ambition". This expression is true for many Americans. Of all the components that make up a happy life, your home is one of, if not the most important.
When it comes to living, Houston Heights in Houston Texas stands out above the rest as a fantastic community that enjoys both sheer natural area beauty with terrific homes featuring diverse architectural designs with many homes on acreage. If you're looking to find your dream home outside crowded city areas, [Your Name Here] can help! [Your Name Here] are local and experienced real estate agents who specialize in Houston Texas and surrounding suburbs as well as exclusive and new, just listed real estate listings in Houston Heights. When you're ready to relocate from New York City, you'll find safe and traditional neighborhoods as well as having city night life and dining city life offers.
[Your Name Here] is well known for seamless real estate transactions, and expertly matching clients to properties that meet their specific lifestyle needs and goals. This adept skill has earned [Your Name Here] has earned the trust of hudreds of home buyers and investors.
You've worked hard all of your life and you deserve a home that brings more joy, comfort and inspiration into your life. First, you must consider what it is in a home that makes you happy. Each home in Houston Heights is marked by its own elegant and distinctive features - there is something everyone!
Contact [Your Name Here] at 555.555.5555 today for a tour of the area.